7. THE 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It

Contradictory to their very core, are The 1975 a boyband, or subversive prog-pop interlopers?  On I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It (a brilliant album title or a horrifically pretentious one? – my answer depends on my mood), they suggest that they’re both and neither at the same time.  There are tracks like the none-more-mainstream dancehall filler of ‘The Sound’ on the same album as the Sigur Rós sounding post-rock of ‘Please be Naked’.  What is this?  In 2016 they both supported One Direction, and released ‘URH!’, one of the most honest songs about cocaine abuse I’ve ever heard.  Indeed, ‘URH!’ is the best individual track released by anyone in 2016 (track of the year, bar none).  Having an American wife, ‘She’s American’ is also a favourite for me lyrically.  I Like It When You Sleep… contains some of the most intelligent and artistic pop I’ve heard in ages (spread across a whopping 17 tracks) – the closest comparison I can think of (sadly, aptly for 2016) is Prince.  Veering from guilty pleasure to massively misunderstood pop geniuses (again, depending on my mood), ultimately, The 1975 are, quite simply, The 1975.  Beloved by 12 year old girls and mid-30s law professors alike.  

sample track: URH!