8. METALLICA - Hardwired…To Self-Destruct

Released in late-November, I feel like I’m still digesting Metallica’s first record in 8 years.  As I write, I think this is probably my least favourite Metallica album ever (NB: I still love 2003’s St. Anger and don’t care what anyone – i.e., everyone – else says).  Despite that damning sounding verdict, Hardwired…To Self-Destruct has still made a healthy 8th place on this list, which probably says a lot about how much I love this band.  Plus I get the sense that it may grow in my estimation given more time.  Terribly named (self-conscious ellipses, much?), Hardwired…To Self-Destruct definitely has its moments.  The opener ‘Hardwired’ is galloping late-80s Metallica thrash (though the profanity doesn’t distract anyone from the fact that you’re in your 50s, guys), ‘Atlas Rise’ is a real wallop, and album best ‘Moth into the Flame’ is flawless stuff.  But we’ve got through these 3 tracks by song 4.  Of course, there’s still much more to enjoy amongst the remaining 7 tracks: ‘Am I Savage?’ belongs on one of the unfairly maligned Load/Reload records from the 90s, and ‘ManUNkind’ has a great groove.  However, there are some duds here too (see ‘Murder One’ – sigh).  They’re still better than the vast majority of their metal counterparts, but compared to Metallica’s first 20-odd years, this feels a little rote at times.  Having said that, in its good moments, it still destroys all challengers.

sample track: Moth into the Flame